Cataloging & Processing
- 1 Bounding Boxes
- 2 Geographic Cutters
- 3 Geographic Area Codes
- 4 Canadian tools and tips
- 5 Map Cataloging Bibliography
- 6 Map Dates
- 7 Mathematical Data for Bibliographic Descriptions
- 8 RDA Presentation
- 9 Romanization Guides
- 10 Scale Finder
- 11 State and County Coordinates
- 12 Superseded Nautical Chart Conversion Table
- 13 Toolbox for Processing and Cataloging Federal Government Documents
- 14 Why Catalog Maps?
Kloken's Bounding Box Tool - can be used to outline an area on a map to generate the latitude and longitude of a map for the 034 and 255 fields of a catalog record.
- Geographic Cutters (complete)
(pdf) (3000 pages long) with cutter numbers for administrative divisions, geographic regions and cities maintained by the Library of Congress.
- Cutter Numbers for California
- Cutter Numbers for Geographic AREAS - Cutter numbers for administrative divisions, geographic regions and cities can be found in Geographic Cutters (Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1988) or by doing a guided keyword search for the the name of the place or region as a geographic subject heading in the Library of Congress Catalog. If the area appears to have no cutter, contact the Library of Congress' Geography & Map Division.
Geographic Area Codes
Lists of MARC Geographic Area Codes are available from
- MARC Code List for Geographic Areas from Library of Congress
- Search LC Authorities LC Geographic Subject Headings - Subject headings for geographic entities can be searched in the Library of Congress Authorities List.
List of resources related to Map Cataloging by Kathy Rankin at UNLV.
Date Codes for Road Maps - Linda Zellmer maintains this WAML page with information and links on dating road maps that Phil Hoehn originally compiled. This information is provided on the Map Date Codes web page.
Mathematical Data for Bibliographic Descriptions
defunct: http://persons.kb.nl/jsmits/skd/mathemat.html by Jan Smits at the Koninklijke Bibliotheek.
by pdf of a presentation by Mary Larsgaard and Kathy Rankin at WAML Hawaii 2012.
Contributed by Larry Cruse, UCSD.
- Romanization Systems and Roman-Script Spelling Conventions (pdf) prepared by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, Foreign Names Committee Staff, 1994.
- Romanization Systems by the Permanent Committee on Geographical Names for British Official Use, and the US Board on Geographic Names, 2014.
- Glossary of Terms for the Standardization of Geographical Names (pdf) by the United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names (UNGEGN), 2002.
- Slavic Languages Cataloging Manual
- dead URL: http://www.indiana.edu/~libslav/slavcatman/smtocs.html
- from the Slavic & East European Section of ACRL. Includes resources for transliteration and abbreviations.
(software) A program that can convert linear scales to representative fractions and vice-versa. v. 7 as of 8/27/2017
State and County Coordinates
4-corner latitudes and longitudes for States and selected counties are available on the MAGIRT web site.
- United States - US State Coordinates by David Cobb, 1986
- Arizona - Arizona County Coordinates
- California - California County Coordinates by R. Bruce Robertson, 1984
- Hawaii - offline: Hawaii County Coordinates: Including Major Islands and National Parks by James A. Baldwin, 1987
- Illinois - Illinois County Coordinates by Alex Wenner and Marian Hunter, 1985
- Indiana - Indiana County Coordinates by James A. Baldwin, 1990
- Iowa - Iowa County Coordinates by Casey Kohrt 2002
- Michigan - Michigan County Coordinates (including public lands) by Michael McDonnell, 1989
- Minnesota - Minnesota County Coordinates by John A. Olson, 1991
- Missouri - Missouri County Coordinates by Allen P. Wilson, 1988
- Nevada - Nevada County Coordinates
- Ohio - Ohio County Coordinates by Evron S. Collins, 1989
- Utah - Utah County Coordinates by R. Bruce Robertson, 1984
- Wyoming - Wyoming County Coordinates: Including National Parks and Monuments, and Wind River Indian Reservation by Jim Walsh, 1986
Superseded Nautical Chart Conversion Table
Dead link: https://lib.stanford.edu/map-collections-stanford/superseded-us-coast-and-geodetic-survey-nautical-chart-conversion-table A list of charts issued by the National Ocean Survey, National Ocean Service, U.S. Coast and Geodetic *Survey, U.S. Coast Survey) and by the U.S. Lake Service from Branner Earth Sciences Library and the University of California-Berkeley.
GODORT wiki for processing US Government Documents, including extensive map documentation.
WAML page maintained by Kathy Rankin outlining administrative justifications for devoting resources to cataloging.