WAML Executive Board Meeting Minutes

<< issue home

Friday, May 10, 2019
1:30 – 3:00 PM
Via zoom

Call meeting to order: 1:31pm

In attendance: Tom Brittnacher (President), Phil White (Past-President), Julie Sweetkind-Singer (Secretary), Bruce Godfrey (Treasurer)

Absent: Susan Powell (Vice President)

  1. Approval of Minutes from last meeting
    1. Meeting minutes from March 15, 2019 approved unanimously.
  2. Reports
    1. President
      1. Created WAML Archives G Suite Group and email archives@waml.org; Group is now a member of all Team Drives.
    2. Vice President
      1. Susan will talk to Bank of America about how to set up an endowment account.
      2. The Ad-hoc Website Group will figure out how to configure the content for the new web pages.  Action: Susan will review this with a few other members to think about ideas for the future and recommend options for the future.
    3. Past President
      1. Scholarship Committee update: Group has met and sent out an announcement on May 1, 2019 to have people apply.  Will close at the end of June.  The Committee is disseminating the announcement.  The two scholarships are being offered with the theme of diversity and/or early career.
      2. Mission statement Task Force update: There have been two productive meetings.  Phil is sending out a survey to the membership today.  Responses will be worked into the two statements.  They will report back at the WAML meeting in Reno.
      3. Nominating Committee update:
        1. Vice-President/President Elect: Matthew Toro, Evan Thornberry
        2. Secretary: Louise Ratliff
        3. Treasurer: Bruce Godfrey
    4. Secretary
      1. Action from last meeting: Tom will create an Archive folder on the G-Suite space for the Archivist. COMPLETE
      2. Management of the election: I will need the slate of candidates and biographies/statements by May 15, 2019.  Ballot will take place using Stanford’s Qualtric account with a couple of reminders.
        1. Action: Julie has requested the updated membership list from Greg Armento (Completed).
        2. Action: select dates for the balloting.  Suggest May 20 – June 5th.  Julie will notify Tom on June 5th of the results.
    5. Treasurer
      1. We have a bit over $200 in Paypal, $2,700 in savings, $18,000 in checking.  $500 was paid to Sierra Laddusaw for the Grand Canyon Conference.
  3. Old Business
    1. Archiving the output of WAML (Julie)
      1. Action from last meeting: Julie will finalize the Memo of Understanding and send it to Tom for his signature. (Complete)
      2. Completed MOU has been added to the Google Drive.
    2. WAML stickers
      1. Action:  Phil will look into doing a redesign of the stickers.
    3. Appointed positions/Honoraria increases (Tom)
      1. Tom asked people to come up with an estimate of the hours worked per year.
      2. Susan is working with Chrissy, Jon, Mike and Ilene on potentially restructuring the roles of the IB editors. (Postponed until the next meeting.)
    4. New Mapping position now held by Ken Rockwell
      1. Tom contacted David Bertuca with MAGIRT as he is stepping down doing the same thing for their organization.  They were able to replace this position.
    5. Endowment account creation
      1. Action: Susan will talk to Bank of America about how to set up an endowment account.
    6. Website redesign: Julie and Susan
      1. Action: Julie will talk to Daniel about the web redesign and will send out an email in May-June to get an Ad-hoc group pulled together at the Reno meeting.  Julie will chair the group.
      2. Action:  The Ad-hoc Website Group will figure out how to configure the content for the new web pages.  Action: Susan will review this with a few other members to think about ideas for the future and recommend options for the future.
    7. Membership Committee suggestion (Phil and Susan)
      1. Tom talked to Greg about setting up an Ad-Hoc committee to look at membership, outreach, and mentorship.  Greg will chair the committee.
      2. Action: Tom will write a draft charge and then we’ll ask at the WAML meeting for volunteers to be on this group.
    8. Policies and Procedures with respect to Google-Suite (G-Suite)
      1. Changes to the G Suite Administrator section in the Policies and Procedures document was approved by the Board.
      2. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FhKx6YixILU1pZzmh3dBKjHrSM6YNocba6nXlheQ5pc/edit
      3. Action: Tom will complete the document and upload the new version on the website and in the Google Team.  (To complete the document – add G Suite Administrator information, remove “Draft”, add date completed, and date uploaded to the Website.)
      4. Action: Tom will delete the old version the Policies and Procedures on the Google Team Drive.
    9. Transfer of Power documents
      1. WAML Transition Checklist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fed-HItS6qPlefruDXS-rzsMv0p5jIsnI_e4j2dYB6Y/edit
      2. Action: Each board member should go through their section and fill in what needs to be considered by June 7, 2019.
      3. Action: Phil and Tom will complete the transition by June 28, 2019.
  4. New Business
    1. Set up transition meetings
      1. Action: Board members will begin the transition to the new Executive Board members starting June 10, 2019 and should set up individual meetings with their new counterparts.
    2. Reno meeting: Susan
      1. Conference hotel block is reserved.  Currently working on confirming logistics (banquet, field trip, etc.).
      2. Tentative theme: Spatial Humanities/STEAM.
      3. Tentative pre-conference workshop: Software Carpentry sessions 

Adjourned: 2:39pm

<< issue home
>> next feature

Print Friendly, PDF & Email